how do I speak to a real person?
Customer Service/Box Office phone hours are Monday-Saturday from 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. On Sundays when we have a performance, we are open 10:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Address: 135 North Grand Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90012
If you have any questions or concerns (no matter how small it may be) we'd love to hear from you. We mean it, we're here to help.
what should i wear?
We don't care as long as it meets the standards of public attire. Most people dress up for evening performances--especially on the weekends--and people tend to dress nicer on opening nights (especially the season opening).
But really, you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in: Want to make a night of it? Go for it! Want to be comfortable in your favorite jeans? Absolutely.
CAN I DONATE MY TICKET FOR A TAX DEDUCTION?
Yes and we'd be happy to help! We are an official 501c3 nonprofit organization. If you are unable to attend an opera you can donate your back for resale. It's a win/win for both of us: you get a deduction and we get much needed funds to cover our costs.
To donate your tickets just call 213.972.8001. You will receive a receipt for this donation. You may also mail or fax your ticket donation. Just remember, you need to call us (or tickets need to arrive) one hour before curtain time on the day of the performance to be considered a donation.
Donating your tickets as soon as possible will increase our chances of reselling them to other operagoers. The value of your tickets will be acknowledged as a charitable contribution after the performance. (This amount will not be applied toward donor benefits.)
CAN I EXCHANGE MY TICKETS? how?
You sure can! The price ranges from FREE (for Full Subscribers) to $25 and it's less expensive if you let us know as soon as your plans change.
48 hours or more in advance before the performance:
- Full Season Subscribers: You get the best deal - in most cases they can exchange their tickets to a different performance of the same opera for FREE. There may be additional costs if you exchange into a different, more expensive opera performance (from a weekday into a weekend, for example) or upgrade your seating section. Tickets may be exchanged into a different opera but there may be a difference in price depending upon the opera and the performance date/time.
- Design-Your-Own, ARIA, Family, and Newcomer package holders: You can exchange for a $5 fee per ticket. You may have to pay more if seats in your price range are not available for your desired performance.
- If you have purchased tickets are not part of a package, you can exchange for a $25 fee per ticket to a different performance of the same opera. You may have to pay more if seats in your price range are sold out for your desired performance (pro-tip: the earlier you call the better the availability).
Last Minute Exchanges (2-48 prior the performance start time printed on your ticket):
- Cost is $25 per ticket for any ticket holder during this period.
- All exchanges may be subject to a seating price increase depending upon the performance you are exchanging into.
- If there is an emergency situation please contact us at any point and we will do our very best to be accommodating and assist you. We understand and are here to help.
Ticket exchanges may be made by logging into your account on this site; calling the Box Office at 213.972.8001 ext. 0 (zero) or at the Box Office window.
HELP - I've lost my tickets!
Did your dog eat your tickets or perhaps you just misplaced them? We know it happens. No worries. Ticket buyers may call 213.972.8001 for the replacement of lost or stolen tickets. For your protection, replacement tickets can only be picked up at the Box Office directly before the performance.
CAN I BRING MY KIDS?
We love welcoming everyone to experience the awesomeness of opera. However, since we've found that little tots and long operas don't always mix, we limit the ages for attending our mainstage operas to children 9-17 years. We've found that at that age kids really enjoy the spectacle of opera. And best of all, you can get half-price tickets for kids in this age group with our Domingo Family Program. You may also want to check out our Family Days that are curated just for budding opera lovers.
Since many operas contain adult subject matter (i.e. Tosca may be a little intense for little Sofia), we suggest that parents check out the synopsis found on the webpage for the opera they are considering. Also, you may want to call the box office at 213.972.8001 to ask any specific questions you may have (we're here to help!).
While we love kids we also need to ensure that everyone enjoys the unique experience of attending an opera, so if you arrive with a young child (under 9) you will not be allowed into the theater. Although you can watch from the lobby, you will likely enjoy the performance better if you leave the little ones at home.
We have many, many other ways for you to enjoy the magic of opera with your young child. Click here to learn how.
DO YOU REFUND TICKETS?
Unfortunately, no. We know this stinks, but we promise we have a good reason for it. As a non-profit, we can't afford to have inventory taken off the market and then added back later when fewer people are buying. ---There are no refunds on ticket sales, but you may exchange or donate your tickets if you cannot attend a performance (see details above). Artists, prices, schedule and programs are subject to change.
How do I give a gift certificate?
Do we think opera is the greatest gift you can give? Yes. Are we slightly biased? No comment. Well if you want to give the gift of opera (that can be used for tickets or subscriptions) to the opera lover in your life you can do so by going here.
WHAT IS THE PRE-OPERA TALK?
Get the full story by joining other opera-goers at our complimentary pre-opera talks in the Grand Hall of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. You will have the opportunity to listen to Southern California's most engaging and highly regarded scholars, including LA Opera's acclaimed Music Director Maestro James Conlon, present entertaining and informative talks on the opera you are about to see. Generously sponsored by The Flora L. Thornton Foundation and The Opera League of Los Angeles, the talks are free of charge to those attending the performance. Talks are scheduled one hour prior to every performance. Reservations are not required.
If you are unable to make it to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in time to attend a pre-performance talk, you can also listen to the program from your phone.* Each talk is accessible via the following phone number and code:
Phone number: 1.626.677.3000
Access code: 314902#
How Do i get access to wheelchair or accessible seats?
We want everyone to be able to experience the transformative power of opera and we want you to join us:
- Buy online - look for the wheelchair and accessible seats in our orchestra and loge sections.
- Call our Box Office - 213.972.8001
- Email us - email@example.com
Should need any specific assistance for your visit with us, please call The Music Center Special Services at 213.972.0777