Five programs. Five recitals. Five of opera's brightest stars. Our new Signature Recital Series gives you exclusive access to astounding performances in intimate performances—filmed in stunning venues across the country and in Europe—streamed directly to your home screen.
The series kicks off on April 9 with tenor Russell Thomas (LA Opera's phenomenal Artist in Residence) partnering with pianist Mi-Kyung Kim for a mesmerizing traversal of Schumann's Dichterliebe (Poet's Love), one of the towering masterpieces of the Romantic-era song repertoire. Next up will be unforgettable performances from mezzo-soprano Susan Graham, soprano Christine Goerke, soprano Julia Bullock and mezzo-soprano J'Nai Bridges—a breathtaking showcase of vocal magic. (See schedule below.)
Watch all five recitals for just $45 by getting access below. LA Opera subscribers get discounted access to the complete series for just $30 (just log into your subscription account when purchasing and the price will automatically change). To join as a subscriber and save, click here.
Part of the On Now platform of digital programming, the recitals will be available at 5pm PST on their scheduled release date for on-demand viewing through July 1.
Russell Thomas, tenor
- Streaming: April 9, 2021 - July 1, 2021
- Pianist: Kyung-Mi Kim
- Filmed at: Spivey Hall (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Program: Schumann's Dichterliebe (Poet's Love), "Total Eclipse" from Handel's Samson, and love songs by Adolphus Hailstork and Robert Owens.
Susan Graham, MEZZO-soprano
- Streaming: April 23, 2021 - July 1, 2021
- Pianist: Jeremy Frank
- Filmed at: Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (Los Angeles, California)
- Program: A collection of her favorite songs by 20th-century great Kurt Weill, from the yearning "Lonely House," to the tantalizing "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" to the lovely "September Song."
Christine Goerke, soprano
- Streaming: May 7, 2021 - July 1, 2021
- Pianist: Craig Terry
- Filmed at: the Art Factory (Paterson, New Jersey)
- Program: Handel, Brahms, and Strauss; Italian art songs; classic show tunes; and other surprises including Carrie Jacobs-Bond’s witty cycle of (very!) short pieces, Half-Minute Songs.
Julia Bullock, soprano
- Streaming: May 21, 2021 - July 1, 2021
- Pianist: Laura Poe
- Filmed at: Blaibach Concert Hall (Blaibach, Germany)
- Program: songs by Wolf, Schumann and Weill, continuing with music by American composers John Adams, Margaret Bonds and William Grant Still, before a grand finale of beloved tunes from Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music.
J'Nai Bridges, mezzo-soprano
- Streaming: June 4, 2021 - July 1, 2021
- Pianist: Howard Watkins
- Filmed at: Harlem School of the Arts (New York City, New York)
- Program: Check back soon!