Our Teaching Artists will help your students learn their parts in Figaro’s American Adventure, a kid-friendly opera based on The Barber of Seville.
Students are transported to colonial America with Figaro and his band of sneaky barbers and colonial compatriots. (Psst…teachers can sneak in American history content with this opera.) After five weeks, they’re ready to join professional opera singers onstage and perform in front of their community. Watch your students transform: gaining confidence, knowledge and a love of music that will stay with them for life.
Things to know:
- Students perform on stage with sets, lighting and stage crew from LA Opera.
- Provides cross-curricular ties with American history.
- Teachers must attend a required orientation at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on December 8, 2020.
- Students meet once a week for five weeks, January 11 - February 12, 2021.
- All workshops are scheduled for one class period, one day, each week between 9am and 3pm.
- Performances are scheduled between February 16 - March 5, 2021.
- Enrollment is open for up to 15 schools within a 30-mile radius of the Music Center.
- Maximum of 70 students per school from the 4th and/or 5th grade
- The school participation fee is $1,500
EISO+ - Introducing kids to offstage magic.
Show your students that you don’t have to be a performer to play a vital role in an opera production with EISO+. 4th and 5th graders use math and measurement skills to build model sets based on the production of Figaro’s American Adventure. (Hello cross-curriculum, STEAM learning!) On performance day they get to show off their designs to the audience.
- Employ critical thinking skills to make their selections based on the libretto
- Learn to build their set within a budget
- Defend their design choices (never too early to practice for that PhD)
- Show off their finished designs on performance day
Things to know:
- 45 students can enter the program
- This is a separate set of students from the performers.
Applications for these programs are accepted throughout the year and participation is dependent on availability.
Click here to contact us via email or call 213.972.3157.
Generous support for Elementary In-School Opera Plus (EISO+) from
The Boeing Company