Secondary students break the mold of traditional school productions as they turn their auditorium into a world-class opera house.
Arts and education meet at our In-School Opera Workshops. Ten weeks spent with LA Opera artists fly by as students sharpen their performance skills and perform a full-scale opera (and master some Common Core and VAPA standards, too). This fall, students will perform Journey to Córdoba, by Lee Holdridge and Richard Sparks, a story of a young Mexican-American girl connecting with her family history while learning how to stand up for herself and claim the future she desires.
We know there is much that is still unknown about attending live performances, but we are feeling hopeful. With the increase in vaccination rates, we are more confident than ever about resuming in-person programming this fall. Our community's safety is the most important part of our return to live programming, and we will be adhering to all state, county, city and school district directions.
Things to know:
- Students perform on stage with professional opera singers, musicians, sets, lighting and stage crew from LA Opera.
- Covers Common Core Standards and VAPA standards.
- Workshops are once a week for 10 weeks, (August 23-October 29) for one class period (between 9am and 3pm). Performances will occur on one day between November 8-19).
- Extensive teaching materials and lesson plans are provided to connect the program to literature, social science, history, world cultures and language skills.
- Teachers must attend a required orientation via Zoom on August 19, 2021 at 4pm.
- Enrollment is open for up to 10 schools within a 30-mile radius of the Music Center.
- Maximum of 50 students per school.
- The in-person school participation fee is $1,500.
- There may be an online version of this program available for a fee of $750. Please let us know if you are interested in such an option.
Click here to contact us via email or call 213.972.3157.
Generous support for this program from the
Dr. and Mrs. Paul Eisenberg
Mr. David Kobrin
The Capital Group Companies Charitable Foundation
The Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation
Sidney Stern Memorial Trust
John and Beverly Stauffer Foundation