Our professional teaching artists will help your students learn their part in an age-appropriate opera.
After five weeks, they’re ready to join professional opera singers on stage and perform in front of their community. Watch your students transform: gaining confidence, knowledge and a love of music that will stay with them for life. Through engaging and lively weekly workshops, your students will learn their roles as chorus members in The Legend of Cannery Row, a charming opera by Eli and LeRoy Villanueva based on Puccini’s Turandot.
The Legend of Cannery Row takes place in Monterey, California, where an elementary school class is on a field trip to learn about the history of Chinese immigrants and the famous Cannery Row. Their tour guide charms them by narrating the magical story of Turandot, taking them on a thrilling but dangerous journey back in time to ancient Peking. The children meet Prince Calaf and Princess Turandot, who challenges the Prince to answer three enigmatic riddles in exchange for her hand in marriage. The children help Prince Calaf solve the riddles, making a connection between the mysterious riddles and the plight of the Chinese immigrants at Cannery Row!
Things to know:
- Students perform on stage with sets, lighting and stage crew from LA Opera Connects.
- Provides cross-curricular ties with California history.
- Teachers must attend a required orientation via Zoom on Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 5pm.
- Students meet once a week for five weeks, January 8 through February 9, 2024.
- All workshops are scheduled for one class period, one day, each week between 9am and 3pm.
- Performance days will be scheduled between February 12 and March 2, 2024.
- Enrollment is open for up to 15 schools within a 30-mile radius of the Music Center.
- Maximum of 70 students per school from the 4th and/or 5th grade
- The school participation fee is $1,500.
This program is now full. Check back next fall for information about our 2024/25 season.
Click here to contact us via email or call 213.972.3157.
Generous support for this program from the
Employee Community Fund of Boeing
LA Opera Connects is generously supported by
Emanuel Treitel Trust
The Green Foundation
The Music Man Foundation