The Los Angeles Opera will hold auditions in January 2024 for experienced, classically trained singers seeking a professional contract in the highly acclaimed LA Opera Chorus for the 2024-2025 Season.
To apply, complete the application form and upload audition materials (resume, photos) at this link.
All applications must be received by Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 11:59m PST. Please contact email@example.com with questions.
Through their resume and in their audition, applicants should demonstrate:
- A minimum of 4 years classical voice training.
- Excellent sight-reading ability in music and languages.
- Ability to memorize music quickly.
- Experience in another professional opera or symphony chorus and/or strong academic or other equivalent experience.
- Stage experience and/or significant stage training.
Applicants will be asked to confirm availability for all rehearsals and performances prior to their audition. Additionally, applicants will be asked about their ability to perform the physical requirements of each production (e.g. working on a raked stage etc.).
Audition appointments are confirmed by invitation. All auditions take place at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Downtown Los Angeles (135 N Grand Ave, LA 90012).
Audition Dates and Times:
Please note the following while preparing for the audition:
- Applicants should prepare 2 or 3 operatic arias contrasting in style and language.
- One of the three selections may be an art song or a composition from another genre.
- The audition panel may ask to hear only one aria.
- Arias should be sung in the original key and language.
- Applicants may be asked to sight read an aria in the audition.
Auditions typically last no longer than 6 minutes; please plan your repertoire accordingly.
Please note, there will be forthcoming information regarding a movement audition for 2024-2025 season for Chorus Sopranos and Altos, which will be conducted apart from regular chorus auditions. Choristers will be asked to audition to be considered for the movement roles. Those auditions will take place between January 17-26, 2024.
All applicants must be local, LA based. Travel and housing cannot be compensated.
AGMA Membership: Any singer who is offered employment and is not already a member of AGMA (American Guild of American Artists) will have to join.
Diversity: LA Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. LA Opera considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Work Authorization: All employment is conditioned upon providing timely and satisfactory evidence of the ability to work legally in the United States upon acceptance of our offer of employment, should one be extended. LA Opera does not provide sponsorship for work authorization for chorus roles.