The Los Angeles Opera will hold auditions in February for experienced, classically trained singers seeking a professional contract in the highly acclaimed LA Opera Chorus for the 2022/23 Season.
Those who audition will be informed of the 2022/23 mainstage productions and schedules, and they will be considered for all mainstage productions in which they express interest. LA Opera encourages singers of all races, ethnicities, and other identities to audition. The season will include a yet-to-be-announced opera featuring characters of African descent.
Singers can send an application, resume and recent photo to ChorusAuditions@laopera.org.
All applications must be received by Sunday, February 20, at midnight.
Application materials and audition requirements can be found here.
Applicants should prove the following:
- A minimum of 4 years classical voice training.
- Excellent sight-reading ability in music and languages.
- Ability to memorize music quickly.
- Experience in another professional opera or symphony chorus and/or strong academic or other non-professional experience.
- Stage experience and/or significant stage training.
- Availability for all rehearsals and performances on schedule which will be provided prior to the audition.
- Ability to perform special requirements for productions as informed prior to audition.
Audition appointments are confirmed by invitation only. All auditions take place at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles.
- Saturday, February 19, 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Sunday, February 20, 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Wednesday, February 23, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Friday, February 25, 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Saturday, February 26, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- Sunday, February 27, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
If invited to audition the following will be needed at your scheduled audition time.
- 2 to 3 operatic arias contrasting in style and language.
- You may be asked to sing only one aria.
- Arias should be sung in the original key and language.
- You may be asked to sight read as the ability to read and memorize quickly is needed.
- Auditions typically last no longer than 4 minutes; please plan your repertoire accordingly.
All applicants must be local, LA based. Travel and housing cannot be compensated.
Any singer who is offered employment and is not already a member of AGMA (American Guild of American Artists) will have to join.
LA Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment is conditioned upon providing timely and satisfactory evidence of the ability to work legally in the United States upon acceptance of our offer of employment, should one be extended. LA Opera does not provide sponsorship for work authorization for chorus roles.
COVID-19 Policy: Prior to the audition, participants will be required to provide proof of being up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines, as defined in LA Opera’s vaccination policy. Audition participants will also be subject to other COVID-related protocols in LA Opera’s then-current health and safety plan, which will include and not be limited to a requirement to take a COVID diagnostic test prior to the audition. More information will be supplied closer to the audition.
NOTE: Individuals who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief should reach out to LA Opera’s Human Resources department (HR@laopera.org) as soon as possible to discuss the process for requesting an exemption from the policy. LA Opera will engage in an interactive process with individuals making such requests, according to applicable law. If it is decided that granting an exemption would pose a threat to health and safety in the workplace that cannot be sufficiently mitigated through reasonable accommodation, the request will be denied.