Every student deserves access to the career of their dreams – so we’re introducing the Russell Thomas Youth Artist Training Academy.
Open to high school students from Los Angeles County communities underrepresented in the arts, this program provides long-term vocal and performance training to prepare them for future careers in opera. New to opera? That’s okay. This program is designed for students who have a talent for singing, a desire to explore opera, and a willingness to work hard.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
- 30-week program (6-hours per week)
- Open to students ages 15-18, who will be enrolled in high school during the 2021-22 school year
- Must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Features opportunities to perform
- Comprehensive program includes weekly voice lessons, plus acting and movement sessions
- Students will receive a scholarship stipend for participation.
- Prepare two songs *: 1) One song in English, in a classical or operatic style2) "Sebben, crudele" by Antonio Caldara
click here for sheet music, accompaniment tracks, video lesson, and sample recordings
* You can sing a cappella (with no accompaniment) or you can use a recorded track playing from a speaker. Just make sure the track isn’t louder than your singing.
- Provide two references from music professionals
- Submit a video recording of the songs with written application
- Second round interviews and auditions will begin late June 2021
Saturday, May 15, 2021
BIPoC students and individuals of other identities that are underrepresented in opera and classical arts are especially encouraged to apply.
The Russell Thomas Youth Artist Training Academy is underwritten with generous support from an anonymous donor.