LA Opera is now accepting applications for the position of Wigmaster. The Wigmaster reports directly to the Costume Director, acts as head of the Wig & Makeup Department and is responsible for all wig and makeup presentations in rehearsals and on stage.
The terms of this position are governed by and will require membership in IATSE Local 706 within 31 days of employment. This is a contract position of 44 to 48 weeks per year season.
Applicants must have at least five years’ experience running a professional wig & makeup department for the live stage, preferably in opera. Primary responsibilities are both artistic and administrative: the ability to paint a unified stage picture combined with the ability to administrate the department effectively.
Candidates should demonstrate:
- a working knowledge of the design, construction, styling, and application of wigs and facial hair, as well as natural hair
- a working knowledge of makeup design and application
- ability to interpret and realize designs• a working knowledge of prosthetic creation and maintenance
- knowledge of skills and standards specific to telecasts and high definition video
- knowledge of the special requirements of opera
- ability to lead and inspire a workforce
- effective communication skills and diplomacy, ability to work collaboratively with all other departments
- fluency in English, multi-lingual preferred
- experience running productions in repertory
- the ability to work under pressure, within a tight time schedule
- the ability to organize and schedule a staff of 5 to 25 people in order to meet all production deadlines
- computer literacy, ability to use e-mail, word processing and spreadsheet applications
- the ability to budget department labor and materials, and the ability to operate within approved budgets
- knowledge of current industry health and safety practices
- the ability to multitask and make quick decisions
- the ability to work independently without supervision
Please send resume and letter of interest to: Jenny Green, Costume Director, LA Opera Costume Department, 1655 E. 14th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021. Fax: 213-225-8199. Email: email@example.com.