Warehouse Production Assistant – Costume Shop
About LA Opera:
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity:
LA Opera is seeking a Warehouse Production Assistant to join our dynamic Costume Shop team. This is a full-time, seasonal position with benefits, with approximately 42 weeks of employment anticipated from Spring 2021 to Spring 2022.
Reporting to the Warehouse Manager, the Production Assistant will assist with the organization and maintenance of warehouses and stockrooms and the organization, maintenance and transportation of costumes.
- Assist with packing and maintaining inventories of incoming and outgoing costumes
- Participate in tracking and transportation of costumes to and from theatre
- Organize footwear, dry cleaning and laundry
- Assist with errands around the LA County area
This position is based at the LA Opera Costume Shop in downtown Los Angeles, near Interstate 10 and South Alameda Street. The standard schedule for this position is daytime shifts Monday through Friday and will also include some weekend and evening work, based on operational needs.
Who we’re looking for:
We are seeking an individual with experience in a theatrical or other entertainment environment, preferably in costume construction or wardrobe. Successful candidates will possess strong oral and written communication skills; be very organized and detail-oriented; and able to prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines, take instructions, and work well with minimal supervision.
- A clean driving record and a personal vehicle that can be frequently used for local travel (mileage reimbursement provided)
- The ability to drive a minivan and 16’ cargo truck in city traffic
- Proficiency with workplace applications such as Microsoft Office and databases
- Ability to lift, push, and move objects up to 60 pounds
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some shifts of more than eight hours
We are committed to a workplace in which everyone has equitable opportunities and support and experiences a sense of belonging, and we are seeking a Warehouse Production Assistant who champions and demonstrates this commitment.
To apply, please send resume (as an attachment) and cover letter (in the body of the email) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.