About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity
We are hiring a Sr. Director of Accounting to oversee the Finance department’s accounting, financial reporting, and compliance responsibilities. This position also plays a key role in implementing new systems and process improvements.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows
- Managing the year-end financial statement audit, retirement plan audit, and Form 990 filing
- Providing departmental oversight to ensure accounting transactions are recorded timely and accurately and account reconciliations and other best practices are implemented to ensure strong internal controls and efficiency
- Working closely with Director of Budgeting & Planning to report, analyze and resolve variances between actuals vs. budget
- Preparation of ad-hoc and recurring management reports and dashboards
- Preparation of presentation materials for Board meetings
- Assisting the CFO with strategic initiatives including implementation of new accounting software, new payroll/HR software and process improvements
- Oversight of Payroll; supervising the Payroll Manager and ensuring payroll transactions are recorded timely and accurately in the general ledger, implementing process improvements to standardize and streamline timekeeping and payroll reporting, ensuring union reporting is submitted timely and accurately
- Assisting the CFO with the RFP process for key vendors and services
- Reviewing contracts to ensure compliance with financial terms and conditions
- Ensuring compliance with company policies and internal controls
- Other duties as assigned
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible exempt position based out of our offices at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles, with some remote-working flexibility possible.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking a Sr. Director of Accounting that possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- CPA preferred
- Minimum 7 years of accounting experience; non-profit experience preferred
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Solid understanding of GAAP
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel; accounting system implementation experience desired
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks & meet deadlines
- Prior supervisory experience required
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in arts administration are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications are submitted through our online candidate portal, where you will enter some information about yourself and upload your resume and cover letter. The process takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
LA Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be up to date on their COVID vaccines. More information will be provided during the interview process.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.