SPECIAL EVENTS COORDINATOR
About LA Opera:
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity:
In support of LA Opera’s fundraising and audience outreach, our special events team produces dozens of events throughout the year, including an annual gala, opening night dinners, cast suppers, and multiple donor benefit events at The Music Center and other venues and private residences throughout the Los Angeles area. The team also supports logistics for bi-monthly meetings and other events of the Board of Directors.
We are hiring a Special Events Coordinator to provide support for all aspects of our event planning and execution. The Special Events Coordinator will be part of a two-person special events team within the Development department and will report to the Associate Director of Special Events.
- Preparing invitations and invitation lists for events and managing RSVPs.
- Liaising with food and beverage and other vendors and drafting menus.
- Managing receipts and invoices for event expenses, ensuring accurate recordkeeping and timely payment of vendors.
- Helping to arrange for staff and volunteer coverage of events.
- Working onsite at events, helping to manage day-of logistics.
- Managing the company’s event calendar and other records related to event activities, including updating records in Tessitura.
- Communicating with donors and leadership regarding events.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking an individual with at least two years of experience in events, catering, or hospitality. The right person for this role will demonstrate integrity, possess high emotional intelligence and interpersonal savvy, and be an outstanding communicator—including excellent writing and active listening skills. The ability to decipher, communicate and manage intricate details along with handling confidential and proprietary information sensitively and discreetly is critical. Prior experience with fundraising is helpful but not required.
Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service and a high level of professionalism. The ability to work successfully both independently and as part of a team is very important. Our Special Events and other Development team members “roll up their sleeves” and work in a hands-on way to support one another and the organization, and the right person for this role will thrive in such an environment.
We are committed to a workplace in which everyone has equitable opportunities and support and experiences a sense of belonging, and we are seeking a Special Events Coordinator who champions and demonstrates this commitment.
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in arts administration are especially encouraged to apply.
- At least two years of special event/catering/hospitality experience
- Experience with event budgeting and accounting principles.
- Excellent computer skills. Prior experience with mail merging, fundraising software such as Tessitura, and marketing platform software like WordFly a plus.
- Ability to work frequent evenings and weekends.
- Personal vehicle for local travel.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.
To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Special Events Coordinator” in the subject line.