About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes, and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit, and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity
LA Opera is seeking a Production Assistant to join our Costume Shop team. This is a full-time, over-hire, non-exempt position, with approximately 24 weeks of employment anticipated from July to December 2023. This Production Assistant role would have the possibility of full-time, seasonal employment for the following season.
The Production Assistant reports to the Warehouse Manager and Production, Rental, Stock Assistant and assists with the organization and maintenance of warehouses and stockrooms as well as the organization, maintenance, and transportation of costumes.
- Assist the Warehouse Manager in organizing and maintaining staging area, costume storage, and stock area
- Restock costumes pieces, accessories, fabrics and trim, and other costume-related items
- Assist in prepping and packing /unpacking for outgoing/incoming rental productions
- Pickup and deliver costume pieces to or from theater, e.g. rehearsal item
- Assist in creating and maintaining documentation for stock and productions
- Assist in the organization and preparation of stock and show footwear
This position is based at the LA Opera Costume Shop in downtown Los Angeles, near Interstate 10 and South Alameda Street. The standard schedule for this position is daytime shifts Monday through Friday and will also include occasional weekend and evening work, based on operational needs.
- Basic knowledge of costume history and fabric and fiber types
- Experience in professional theater wardrobe or costume department or degree in theater costume, textiles or fashion-related field
- Ability to organize data in an efficient and timely manner
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and load and unload heavy costume racks and move boxes safely
- Basic computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office suite, and aptitude to learn other applications as needed.
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license. Ability to operate large vehicles (vans, box trucks, etc.) a plus
- Punctuality and reliability
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
Hourly wage: $23.50
This position is represented by Local 768, IATSE
To apply: Please apply here.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.