About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the Opportunity
LA Opera is seeking a Master Tailor responsible for costume construction, costume alterations, pattern preparation and fabric preparation as instructed by the Head of Tailoring. This is a seasonal, benefit-eligible position for the Spring season, starting immediately.
- At least 4 years of experience as a Tailor in a professional costume shop
- Technical training courses or apprenticed in Tailoring.
- Experience in the principles and practices of construction of tailoring for stage costumes including period costume cutting.
- Knowledge fabrics and fibers including all tailoring canvases and interfacings
- Knowledge of sewing machine operations and hand techniques customarily used in tailoring
- Ability to work in a professional manner with creative teams and performers
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to organize work and meet deadlines
- Construction of new costumes
- Patterning preparation and development and cutting fabric for garments, linings, flat linings, facings as delegated by the Head Tailor
- Set up alterations from fitting notes and see projects through completion ensuring that every alteration is complete according to the high qualities and standard of the tailoring department
- Assist in fittings and take notes as needed
- If assigned to attend dress rehearsals, take notes for alterations from artists and the creative team
Hourly wage: $23.48
This position is represented by Local 768, IATSE
Please apply through our online candidate portal, where you will enter some information about yourself and upload your resume and cover letter. The process takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.
LA Opera requires employees to be up to date on their COVID vaccinations (meaning an original vaccine series plus a booster when eligible, as determined by the Centers for Disease Control). Within 24 hours of accepting an offer of employment with LA Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being up to date on their COVID vaccinations or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted or not granted, the offer of employment will be withdrawn. Individuals receiving an offer of employment from LA Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.