About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the Opportunity
LA Opera is seeking a Master Tailor, responsible for costume construction, costume alterations, pattern preparation and fabric preparation under the instruction of the Head Tailor. This a seasonal/temporary position with benefits, starting immediately.
- Construction of new costumes.
- Preparation of fabrics for cutting and construction.
- Patterning preparation and development as delegated by Head Tailor.
- Cutting fabric for garments, linings, flat linings, facings as delegated by the Head Tailor.
- Assisting Head Tailor at fittings and taking notes.
- Setting up alterations from fitting notes and seeing through completion. Ensuring every alteration is complete according to the high qualities and standard of the tailoring department.
- Attending dress rehearsals as assigned, taking notes for alterations from artists and from the creative team.
Successful candidates will:
- Have at least 4 years’ experience as a tailor in a professional costume shop as well as technical courses or apprentice experience in tailoring
- Be skilled in the principles and practices of construction of tailoring for stage costumes including Period costume cutting.
- Have knowledge of fabrics and fibers including all tailoring canvases and interfacings
- Have applicable sewing machine operations and hand techniques customarily used in tailoring
- Be able to work in a professional manner with creative teams and performers
- Have excellent time management skills and the ability to organize work and meet deadlines
- Possess effective communication and organization skills; multilingual (Spanish or Cantonese) skills a plus
The rate of pay for this position is $23.48/hour. This position is located at the LA Opera Costume Shop in downtown Los Angeles.
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in costume administration are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Master Tailor – [YOUR NAME].”
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.
LA Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company beginning August 9, 2021. Within 24 hours of accepting an offer of employment with LA Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted or not granted, the offer of employment will be withdrawn. Individuals receiving an offer of employment from LA Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.