Director of Financial Planning
About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, “Off Grand” performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity
The Director of Financial Planning will serve a critical role in the creation and management of LAO’s annual budget of approximately $40M and, together with the Chief Financial Officer and Controller, provide overall strategic financial leadership and expertise. The Director of Financial Planning will work closely with our President & CEO, CFO, Board of Directors, and employees across the organization to build, monitor, and revise the budget and otherwise provide information and guidance to inform key financial, operational, and programmatic decisions.
- Oversee creation and approval of annual budget—which includes complex budgets for multiple opera productions and programs and inputs from many departments—and align annual budgets with programmatic and financial goals
- Ensure LAO’s financial systems, reporting, and other tools and resources match our needs and make recommendations and implement changes, as needed, in support of this
- Report regularly to LAO’s staff leadership and Board of Directors regarding financial results
- Monitor cash flow and prepare ongoing cash flow projections
- Partner with budget managers to ensure they have timely and user-friendly information to manage budgets and that expenses are recorded accurately
- Provide ongoing budgetary analysis and forecasting for various programmatic and operational scenarios
- Maintain comprehensive budget files
- Regularly reconcile payroll expenses against budget
- Coordinate cost-containment activities and budget reforecasting
- Along with Controller, supervise work of Finance assistant and interns
This is a full-time administrative staff position with benefits, based at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. Due to the pandemic, administrative staff temporarily are working remotely, with a return to onsite work tentatively anticipated in Summer 2021.
Who we’re looking for
We are seeking a finance professional with exceptional analytical and critical-thinking skills and a track record of successfully managing the budget process for multi-million-dollar, complex budgets with multiple cost centers. Successful candidates will demonstrate integrity and be comfortable working at all levels of the organization, including frequent collaboration and partnership with executive staff and our Board of Directors. We value outstanding communication skills and managers with a collaborative, adaptable approach who are confident making actionable recommendations to leadership.
Our Finance department includes six employees, all of whom “roll up their sleeves” and work in a hands-on way to support one another and the organization.
We are committed to a workplace in which everyone has equitable opportunities and support and experiences a sense of belonging, and we are seeking a Director of Financial Planning who champions and demonstrates this commitment.
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in the finance and/or arts administration sectors are especially encouraged to apply.
- Experience managing the budgeting process for complex annual budgets of $15M+ with multiple cost centers
- Advanced financial analysis and modeling skills
- Advanced proficiency with Excel and databases
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively across all departments and levels of the organization
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com