LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity
We are hiring a Director of Accounting to oversee the company’s accounting, financial reporting, and compliance responsibilities. This position also plays a key role in implementing new systems and process improvements.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements including statement of activities, balance sheet, functional expenses, statement of cash flows, program accounting, and footnote disclosures
- Managing the year-end financial statement audit, retirement plan audit, and Form 990 filing
- Managing the monthly close: ensuring the books are closed on a timely basis, overseeing departmental staff to ensure accounting transactions are recorded timely and accurately, accounts are reconciled, and other best practices are implemented to ensure accuracy and efficiency
- Preparing daily, weekly and monthly cash flow reporting
- Working closely with the Development Department to ensure proper recognition of unrestricted revenue, restricted revenue, releases from restriction; analyzing the collectability, aging, and discounting of grants receivable
- Providing close oversight of accounting for endowed funds including new gifts, gains and losses, distributions, and fees
- Working closely with Director of Budgeting & Planning to report, analyze and resolve variances between actuals vs. budget
- Preparing ad-hoc and recurring management reports, dashboards, and presentation materials for Board meetings
- Assisting the CFO with strategic initiatives including implementation and enhancement of Sage Intaact accounting software, new payroll/HR software, and integration of revenue & expense reporting systems with the general ledger
- Manage and develop staff including the Accounting Manager, Accounts Payable Manager, Payroll Manager, Accounting Coordinator, and temporary staff as needed
- Assisting the CFO and Payroll Manager with implementing a new Payroll/HR system and implementing improvements to the company’s payroll processing procedures and reporting
- Ensuring financial transactions are in compliance with contractual terms and conditions as applicable
- Ensuring accounting transactions are compliant with company policies and strong internal controls
- Other duties as assigned
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible exempt position based out of our offices at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles, with some remote-working flexibility possible via a hybrid work policy.
Who we are looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- CPA strongly preferred
- Minimum 7 years of accounting experience; non-profit experience preferred
- Results and deadline-oriented professional able to execute their own responsibilities while providing staff oversight and guidance, ensuring resources are properly allocated so departmental goals and deadlines are met
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking, problem-solving and time-management skills;
- Solid understanding of GAAP and financial reporting requirements
- Digital proficiency is critical for success in this position; accounting system implementation experience highly desired; exceptional Microsoft Excel skills, experience using multiple systems, creating dashboards and visual presentation of financial data
- Prior success managing and motivating a team
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in arts administration are especially encouraged to apply.
Apply here. Applications received by Friday, November 11, will receive full consideration.
Vaccination policy LA Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy. More information will be provided during the interview process. LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.