About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the Opportunity
Los Angeles Opera is seeking a Cutter/Draper for our 2022 Spring and Fall Seasons. This is a full-time seasonal position with benefits, with approximately 40 to 42weeks of employment anticipated from February through November.
We are seeking an individual with at least 3 years of experience as a Cutter/Draper in a professional costume shop.
- Knowledge of patterning and construction, period costumes, fabrics and fibers, sewing machine operation and hand sewing techniques
- Ability to work in a professional manner with creative teams and performers
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to plan workloads and meet deadlines
- Work with creative teams and performers, independently utilizing creative ability and artistic judgment, successfully interpreting costume designs
- Measure, assign and fit existing costumes pieces and supervise set-up and completion of alterations
- Create patterns for garments from costume designs by draping or flat patterning
- Preparation of fabrics for cutting and construction
- Manage a crew of Assistant Cutter/Drapers, First Hands, Second Hands and Seamsters, planning work assignments to ensure the work is completed in a timely manner, meeting all deadlines
- Attend dress rehearsals, taking notes for alterations from artists and from the creative team.
Hourly rate starting at $27.20
Some positions in the LA Opera Costume Shop are represented by Local 768, IATSE. More information will be provided during the interview process.
To apply: Please apply through our online candidate portal, where you will enter some information about yourself and upload your resume and cover letter. The process takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.
Vaccination policy: LA Opera requires employees to be up to date on their COVID vaccinations (meaning an original vaccine series plus a booster when eligible, as determined by the Centers for Disease Control). Within 24 hours of accepting an offer of employment with LA Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being up to date on their COVID vaccinations or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted or not granted, the offer of employment will be withdrawn. Individuals receiving an offer of employment from LA Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.