LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes, and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity:
We are seeking a Content and Media Specialist to join our Marketing & Communications department. This position functions as a content creator and in-house journalist, covering company activities and performances for the LA Opera blog, website, newsletter, and social media.
Our Content and Media Specialist plays a vital role in generating interest in opera among those who are less familiar with the art form.
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible position based at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles, with some remote working flexibility via a hybrid work policy. Evening and weekend work is sometimes required, in addition to regular office hours.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Researching, planning, writing and posting blog articles, including photography
- Social media content planning, preparing and posting, including copy, photos and videos
- Establishing interview questions and scheduling participants for video content
- Preparing a bimonthly e-newsletter
- Writing articles and preparing content for other external and internal audiences
- Produce multimedia content
Who we’re looking for:
We are seeking a communications professional with excellent writing and storytelling skills and the ability to produce copy of varying tone and messaging based on target audience and medium.
Successful candidates will have:
- Demonstrated competency in and knowledge of various social media channels, their differences, and how to best communicate with audiences
- The ability to work independently and without supervision
- An aptitude for acquiring new information and skills quickly and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, varied, diverse and multicultural environment
- Understanding of popular culture and interest in music, opera, theater or the arts
- Competency in basic production skills such as image and video editing for social media
- Advanced proficiency with Word and Outlook or similar programs.
- Excellent computer skills and understanding of the online environment with the ability to quickly learn new technical tools such as social media management applications and content management systems (CMS)
Bilingual Spanish/English is preferred but not required.
We are committed to a workplace in which everyone has equitable opportunities and experiences a sense of belonging, and we are seeking a Content and Media Specialist who champions and demonstrates this commitment.
To apply: Qualified applicants may apply here. Applications received by Friday, August 12, will receive full consideration. Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in arts administration are especially encouraged to apply.
Vaccination policy: LA Opera has a COVID vaccination policy for employees, which requires employees to be up to date on their vaccines (meaning an original vaccine series plus a booster when eligible, as determined by the CDC eligibility schedule). Further information about the policy will be provided to candidates in the interview process.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.