About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the Opportunity
The Chorus Director is responsible for the artistic standard and preparation of the LA Opera Chorus, working in a world-class stagione repertory house, producing six to seven mainstage operas per year in addition to occasional concerts and other non-mainstage programming. The Chorus Director will work closely with the LA Opera’s Music Director, James Conlon, to ensure the very highest artistic standards in all productions.
Experience and education:
- At least five years directing opera choruses, working in a variety of languages and operatic styles
- Experience with a tenured chorus preferred
- Knowledge of the core operatic repertoire
- Working knowledge of Italian, French, German as well as experience preparing in Russian and Czech
- Experience with off-stage conducting
- Master’s degree or higher in music-related area preferred.
Prerequisite skills and requirements:
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and exercise good judgment and initiative
- Ability to give clear artistic feedback, and be willing and able to address artistic issues in a clear, thoughtful and timely manner
- Ability to manage a rehearsal process and schedule to ensure a chorus is prepared for six to seven large-scale operas per season, as well as concerts and other events
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential, and tactful manner
- Commitment to fostering a respectful working environment in which individuals of all identities feel a sense of belonging and are provided equitable opportunities
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
- Available for regular night and weekend work and expected to attend all performances and major rehearsals
- Working closely with the Music Director to ensure the highest artistic standards for the LA Opera Chorus.
- Availability to oversee all artistic work of the Chorus in the Opera season; and for all other operatic activities where the Opera is presented or is the producer.
- Direction and instruction of the Chorus in the repertory of the season, according to the musical direction of the Music Director and guest conductors, and in accordance with schedules, collective bargaining agreements and company policies, and in versions and languages as designated by the Opera
- Addressing artistic and other issues with Choristers as needed, and undertaking formal periodic evaluative hearings with members of the Chorus in accordance with the processes established in the American Guild of Musical Artists collective bargaining agreement with LA Opera
- Monitoring the Chorus during performance runs and addressing artistic issues as needed
- Overseeing annual auditions for the Chorus
- Working within LA Opera Equity Diversity and Inclusion Action plan to develop and promote strategies to increase diversity in the LA Opera chorus
- Consultation for administrative work in cooperation with the Production department, including consultation on schedules, chorus divisions, numbers of choristers, Chorus communications, and union and other Chorus matters.
- Curating, preparing and, if applicable, conducting concerts of the LA Opera Chorus as needed.
- Participating in chorus bit auditions with members of the company’s artistic team
- Undertaking other musical duties as required, including backstage conducting of choruses and/or bandas.
- Advising as needed on general operatic matters, such as repertoire, casting, and scheduling
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Chorus Director” in the subject line.
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in the field are especially encouraged to apply.
LA Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company beginning August 9, 2021. Within 24 hours of accepting an offer of employment with LA Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted or not granted, the offer of employment will be withdrawn. Individuals receiving an offer of employment from LA Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.