Associate Manager, Rehearsal
About LA OperaLA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes, and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunityWe are hiring an Associate Manager, Rehearsal to provide critical support and oversight of the day-to-day functions of mainstage opera productions in areas including the daily schedule, rehearsal room scheduling, artist and creative team engagements, and artist relations. This position is in our Artistic department and reports to the Director of Artistic Operations.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Managing the daily schedule for rehearsals relating to mainstage productions, the young artist program, and the HBCU Opera Career Comprehensive program
- Managing the logistics for artist and designer engagements including travel, housing, and visa petitions
- Serving as main point of contact for rehearsal room scheduling and calendar
- Processing weekly payroll for artists, young artists, and designers
- Liaising with artists and designers to ensure a smooth engagement
This is a full-time position based at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. The regular schedule for this position is Monday through Friday and will also include weekend and evening work.
The Associate Manager, Rehearsal is eligible for LA Opera’s benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; a 403(b) retirement savings plan; Flexible Spending Account and Employee Assistance programs; parking/commuter benefits; and a cell phone allowance.
Who we are looking forWe are seeking an individual with knowledge of opera repertoire and performers, as well as experience with opera/classical music industry practices.
Success candidates for this role will:
- possess strong administrative skills
- be able to prioritize multiple responsibilities to meet deadlines and work well with minimal supervision
- be very detail oriented and a skilled writer and communicator.
- possess high emotional intelligence and interpersonal savvy when dealing with a variety of personalities and working styles
- have demonstrated ability to handle confidential information sensitively and discreetly
Our Artistic team members “roll up their sleeves” and work in a hands-on way to support one another and the organization, and we are seeking someone who will thrive in such an environment.
We are committed to a workplace in which everyone has equitable opportunities and support and experiences a sense of belonging, and we are seeking an Associate Manager, Rehearsal who champions and demonstrates this commitment.
To Apply:Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply here through our online candidate portal, where you will enter some information about yourself and upload your resume and cover letter. The process takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in the field are especially encouraged to apply.
Vaccination policy: LA Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company. Within 24 hours of accepting an offer of employment with LA Opera, individuals must either submit proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID or submit to the human resources department a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination policy. If proof of vaccination is not provided and a request for an exemption is either not submitted or not granted, the offer of employment will be withdrawn. Individuals receiving an offer of employment from LA Opera will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.