ASSISTANT CUTTER/DRAPER - COSTUME SHOP
About LA Opera
LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles. Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking an individual with at least two years of experience as an Assistant Cutter in a professional costume shop and experience assisting with running a crew.
- Assisting the Cutter/Draper with cutting, fitting and finishing costumes
- Taking fitting notes
- Setting up and overseeing alterations, making sure adjustments are properly completed per notes
- Assisting with the supervision of a crew of first hands, second hands, and seamsters
- Attending dress rehearsals
Successful candidates will:
- Have a working knowledge of patterning and construction, period costumes, fabrics, and fibers
- Be skilled in sewing machine operation and hand sewing techniques
- Be able to work in a professional manner with creative teams and performers
- Have excellent time management skills and the ability to organize work and meet deadlines
- Possess effective communication and organization skills
- Multilingual skills (Spanish or Cantonese) a plus
Please send resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.