LA Opera (LAO) is a mission-driven, non-profit organization that plays a significant role in the cultural life of Southern California. Hundreds of LAO employees and artists help bring to life world-class opera that preserves, promotes, and advances the art form while embodying the diversity, pioneering spirit and artistic sensibility unique to Los Angeles.
Our productions are experienced by more than 100,000 audience members each year at our home at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles. We reach many more through our community and school programs, Off Grand performances in venues across Los Angeles, and On Now digital content.
About the opportunity
The Accounts Payable Manager manages all activities associated with LA Opera’s accounts payable, ensuring that invoices and expense reports are processed accurately and efficiently on a timely basis.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Manage processing of invoices and other payment requests, making proactive and informed decisions regarding the timing of payments based on payment deadlines, aging, and cash-flow considerations
- Ensure that invoices and expenses are accurately coded to the correct department, program, and expense account; research as appropriate
- Ensure required approvals are documented prior to issuing payments
- Responsible for processing employee expense reports using Expensify expense reporting software and importing transactions into the general ledger
- Manage the company’s Expensify account, ensure reports are processed on a timely basis, add new users, respond to employee questions
- Review expense reports and other reimbursement requests for accuracy, ensure they are coded to the proper GL accounts, supported by adequate descriptions, receipts and other documentation; ensures compliance with company expenditure policies
- Document guidelines for processing invoices and other payment requests, develop process improvements as needed
- Reconcile accounts payable balances to and appropriate general ledger accounts with other applicable records
- Ensures proper recordkeeping in accordance with document retention policy and for use in annual audit and tax return preparation
- Responsible for timely posting of general ledger entries and account reconciliations as part of the monthly close
- Responsible for maintaining current vendor information for payment remittances (email addresses, W9s, banking information for ACH payments, wire transfers and employee direct deposit)
- Responsible for year-end 1099 filings; ensures EINs or social security numbers are collected and updated prior to issuing payments
- Initiates wire, check and ACH payments using online banking platform
- Communicates with vendors to resolve billing discrepancies
- Responds promptly to internal and external inquiries regarding invoices and payment status
- May supervise temporary staff or Finance Associate from time to time
- Performs other related duties as assigned
This is a full-time, benefit-eligible exempt position based out of our offices at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown Los Angeles, with some remote-working flexibility possible via a hybrid work policy.
Who we’re looking for
- At least five years of Accounts Payable experience; preferably a managerial role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- Experience with 1099 filings
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Outlook, OCR systems
- Experience and proficiency with accounting applications, preferably Sage Intacct and Expensify
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and time-management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player who is reliable and comfortable communicating and collaborating with staff in the Finance Department and other stakeholders
Individuals of identities that are underrepresented in arts administration are especially encouraged to apply.
Apply here. Applications received by Friday, November 18, will receive full consideration.
Vaccination policyLA Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy. More information will be provided during the interview process.
LA Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any legally protected categories.